Online Singing Lesson: Improving Tone And Power By Releasing Your Jaw

June 11, 2011 by
Filed under Singing Lessons

Hi.  Ian Castle here!  Welcome to your Free Weekly Singing Lesson.

I know it’s been a while since I uploaded one of these videos but sometimes I have to step away from the camera and focus on other areas of my life!

This week I want to focus on vocal tone and power and how your jaw plays a major role in both these areas.

I’ve chosen this topic because it is something that I have been noticing a lot with my private students lately.

Your jaw needs to be relaxed and tension free to allow your voice to function properly.   A lot of singers hold tension in their jaw and aren’t even aware of it.

Watch yourself in a mirror when you sing.  Does your jaw move or is it stuck in one position?  If you can see your bottom row of teeth this is a sure sign that you are holding tension.

I’m going to demonstrate the difference in both tone quality and power when I sing with a locked jaw and a released jaw.

When you watch the video demonstration above notice that my tone was very pressed and quite nasal when singing with a locked jaw.  It makes sense.  If there isn’t enough space for your sound to escape through your mouth then some sound will be forced to your nasal area.

Watch and listen as I sing the same phrase with a released jaw.

Can you hear the tone quality improve?  What about the clarity of my words?

Next I want to show you how dropping your jaw will increase the power of your voice.  I will sing a big note with both a locked jaw and a released jaw to show you the difference.  Please refer to the video for the demonstrations.

I can tell you the second one felt so much easier.

A lot of singers confuse dropping their jaw with widening their jaw.

Watch the demonstrations in the video above to see the difference between the two.

Widening your jaw and mouth will create tension both in your jaw and your neck.  Dropping your jaw actually reduces tension in your neck and helps to keep your larynx low.

A great exercise to develop this dropped position is YA.

I’m going to show you how it should look and sound so make sure you watch the video above.

I’m going to provide you with an mp3 of this exercise  that you can use to practice with.  I’m going to do this with a lot of my video lessons now so that you can create a compilation of mp3 exercises to improve your singing.

That’s it for this weeks lesson.  Download the mp3 below to get your mp3 collection started.  I’ll be back next week with another lesson and mp3.

Your Coach,

Ian Castle

Resources

An Mp3 exercise for releasing tension in your jaw.

Download The Mp3 –Right click and save.

Comments

17 Responses to “Online Singing Lesson: Improving Tone And Power By Releasing Your Jaw”
  1. Louis says:

Excellent lesson!

2. Nicolas Orjuela says:

Hi, Ian that video help me because after singing lot of time I start to force my jaw so thanks.
    Grettings

3. mamamarg says:

Hi Ian,
    Great to see you back doing these videos again!

4. Ted Rivera says:

Hello Ian,

I hope all is well in your part of the country! First I want thank you for all the great lessons, and I have to say you can’t beat the free stuff! I really think you’re on the right track.

Since about 1985 I have been playing in bands here in Ohio! Basically a guitar player and did back up vocals. No more band so I’m taking the time to get some songs recorded that I’ve always wanted to do. You lessons have helped me discover so many different aspects of my voice! I am so grateful for all you have helped me with.

I do have a couple of questions hopefully they are not too silly. I notices that with certain vowels I’m having a problem getting my head voice to kick in. It’s like I almost have to take another breath to be able to start the note. I’m not sure what’s going on there or what to do to resolve it.

One last thing, warming up makes a world of difference when you have to sing all night! I’ve been on both ends of the spectrum here! Starting out the night cold, kills you by the end of the night especially when you know you have to do about 40 songs!

Thanks you so much Ian,

Ted Rivera

5. Zulqarnain says:

OMG! yes! Thank you so much Ian!!!!!!

6. Sheng Ye says:

Hey Ian! its been a while! hope you’re doing fine! great great vid btw!

7. tom jackson says:

Hi Ian Its a great lesson as it makes students become aware of what their doing, I find all your lessons really helpful and easy to understand my voice is getting better thanks Tom

8. yvonne says:

Great to see you are back doing new online lessons as i know they are useful and appreciated by all.

9. Candice says:

Hi Ian,
    Thank you so much for the lessons; they are greatly appreciated. You are too generous :-) Best vocal coach EVER!!

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!
    I want to take the free video lessons to a whole new level now and give you some really useful techniques, ideas and exercises.

Ted, as you sing higher certain vowels like “AH” and “EE” will become harder to sing because they are too wide in their natural position. I modify and neutralize vowels in mixed and head voice so that they are easier to sing. I do have a video on that topic and I will post it below:

I hope that helps, let me know.

Thanks everyone!

Ian :)

11. Donald says:

Great stuff Ian. I appreciate your assistance, coz im learnng quite a lot.

Membo

12. ato says:

hey ian, this is a good video. i was just wondering how long it takes to see am inprovement in the singing.

13. Ronda says:

I really appreciate all you do to help, the tips and exercise are so helpful! :)

14. Milan says:

Great lesson! I’m just a guitar player looking for some “quick and easy” way to protect my voice when trying to sign in higher part of my poor voice range…. but now it seems to me … maybe I can sing :)

15. Ben says:

Greatly appreciated Ian! First time ever answering in a blog but just wanted to give you my thanks! I have a question: i noticed in a free lesson (thank you for those!) you you were explaining to keep the tongue flat in singing, “Meh” and “Mah”. Does the tongue have to remain flat when singing any other vowels as in “Eew’s and “Ooh’s, etc.” hope that question was clear. lol. Thanks! God Bless!

Ben: With eew’s and oo’s your tongue will naturally change from a flat shaped to a slightly evelated position. The rest of the vowels should be sung with a flat tongue.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...