Premium Video Series Part Three: How To Sing Riffs And Runs

November 4, 2009 by
Filed under Premium Videos

How To Sing Fast Riffs and Runs (Vocal Flexibility)

Welcome to the third video in the Premium Subscriber Video Series.  Last lesson I discussed how to develop vibrato by combining breath control and vocal flexibility.  Today’s lesson will continue on with flexibility and how to use it to sing fast riffs and runs.  Vocal flexibility has 2 ingredients, pitch and rhythm.  I am going to take you through an exercise that will develop both these aspects.  If you have ever wanted to sing fast runs like Christina Aguilera or Mariah Carey this exercise will help you achieve it.  It is also useful to classical singers who often have to sing very fast patterns called a melisma.

Enjoy!

Enrol in my FREE 10 Day Mini Course HERE

Comments

10 Responses to “Premium Video Series Part Three: How To Sing Riffs And Runs”
  1. Nathaniel Newman says:

Aussie,

I’m honored that you offer these great videos free. Just for being a subscriber to your news letter. This one is a bit more tricky since I’m having a hard time keeping up with the notes you are playing. I play to try to add this to my daily vocal routine. I will probably grasp it in no time. Many thanks for all you do! I’ve been using your videos for a few weeks now and notice a major change in how better my voice and tone quality as well as light vibrato has become.

THANKS!
    Nathaniel

2. admin says:

Hey Nathaniel,

Hehehehe yes I know this one is a bit tricky. I wanted to throw something at you guys that would give you a challenge! Great to hear that you vibrato has made an appearance! :)

3. priscilla says:

I loved it
    It really helped
    Gave me enough confidence
    I CANT STOP WATCHING YOUR VIDEOS!! lol
    Thankss Aussie

4. Jestina says:

All of your lessons are great, Thank you so much for providing such excellence. I’ve been a gospel singer for years and sort of got out of the “solo singing” area and your lessons are blessing. I have a high voice and the exercises on extending has been great to brush up on high notes. Any info on purchasing the best type of mobile all in one systems and mics will be helpful. I sing in churches a lot small to to medium size and find that the mic systems are usually not very good. I would love to purchase something that will be easy to roll in, that has cd player(for accompaniment tracks) mic and speakers all in one,that I can plug in and be ready to sing without concern of mic systems.Any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

5. admin says:

Hi Jestina. Thanks for commenting. I did a bit of research for you and found some systems that might be of use to you. This is an Aussie website and I’m not sure where you are from, but it might give you an idea of price. Here is the link: http://www.merrylandsmusic.com.au/MerrylandsMusic/PA/portablepa.htm

6. Jestina says:

Thanks so much, I’ll ck out the site

7. Your site is the best site I’ve found and I wanted to say thanks for your hard work and diligence. I really appreciate your thoroughness with you videos. I’ve tried to find the video on resonance but couldn’t find it. I would love to sing with more depth and resonance.

I’ve never had singing lessons before. I’m 48years old. I don’t know if that matters of not. You tell me. The only singing I’ve ever done has been in my car. Until now. I found a voice teacher close to where I live but I’m not getting what I need and am not sure she’s being completely honest.

My voice teacher (I’ve had three lessons) said I have a big range and that I’m a mezzo soprano. I’ve been told to open my mouth like a yawn to lift my soft palate and get my uvula out of the way. With a quick breath I can do that but then my tongue gets in the way and I can’t keep my uvula out of the way. I still have my tonsils and adenoids if that makes a difference. Is there a remedy for this? Do you have any tricks for this problem? Also, how do you relax your jaw to the extent of Pavarotti to get that beautiful sound??

Any help is appreciated.

8. these exercises definitely work i did them faithfully wondering if it was really going to work, and then one day was singing along with a vocalist I was trying to imitate. When it came to the section in the song where he did a riff to my shock I was RIGHT THERE WITH HIM! I thought it was a fluke so I kept doing it over and over again afraid that Id “lose it” LOL! I can now do it without the aid of the recording and I am thankfully on my way to doing my OWN riffs. While I KNOW that one shouldn’t OVERDUE them in a song it’s nice to know that I CAN do one if I WANT!

Hi Elgin,

I’m so pleased to hear that you have developed your riffs and runs! I just finished recording a video lesson for the 8 week course on the topic. It was a lot of fun!

10. Poppy says: